I had mentioned previously that my highest priority repair for the 2017-2018 winter season was to fix the rust I had spotted on the front frame rail. I located a shop in Rockville that could patch up the frame for a reasonable price. This included treating for any additional rust that hadn’t developed into a problem yet. They are a relatively new shop attempting to establish a name for themselves as a specialist in muscle cars. They completed the job quickly, and hopefully I won’t have more rust issues for a long time.
While my car was in the shop, they informed me that the rear universal joint was bad. I was a bit surprised to hear this since I had replaced it fairly recently. But they were able to demonstrate the issue by grabbing the driveshaft and moving it up and down. The play in the u-joint was obvious. After I got the car back I replaced the u-joint. I gave the car a test drive and it drove smoothly on the highway, so I’m considering the u-joint repaired at this point in time.